Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Killing Writer's Block. By Writing.

When you decide to do something (write, diet, exercise), it's never about not being able to do it, but always about how much you want to do it. After my two month hiatus, I'm finally getting back into the habit of writing every day. Before, when I was writing steadily and then had to take a break for whatever reason, I missed the characters and wondered what they're up to. (Does anyone else do that, or is that just me being crazy?) But this time, after the first month, I wasn't wondering enough, and then I wasn't wondering at all, and then I wondered why I was feeling blocked. Yeah. So last week I decided to get back on the ball with it. I started reading at the beginning to reorient myself and stopped myself from editing anything other than grammar issues. On Sunday, the opening scene was nagging at me, so I let myself go back and work on that. I think that might be a weekend reward for me. Write during the week, edit on weekends. (When did editing become a reward?) But I need to try something new, and if I can push off the vampiric editor for 5 days by telling him he gets free reign on the weekend, then hell, why not.

4 comments:

Patrick said...

But I need to try something new, and if I can push off the vampiric editor for 5 days by telling him he gets free reign on the weekend, then hell, why not.

*blink*

*blink* *blink*

That's brilliant!

Christine Carey said...

Thanks! =)

Therese said...

Hi Christine--off-top here but I just saw your comment at my place and wanted to catch you quickly.

AREs were just sent out to all who requested them--several people just got theirs yesterday. Email me if you don't see yours by Monday.

P.s. You're not crazy--missing your characters means you're involved and that's what you (and your future readers) want!

Christine Carey said...

Oh awesome. Will do.

Hope the marathon is going well!